16 May 2007

Hechtsheim

Let me introduce my new home, Hechtsheim. I have moved numerous times in the past four years (approximately 11 times!), but this is by far not the worse place in which I have lived. Unlike in Memphis the dorms here are not in the direct vicinity to one another or the campus. Rather, they are scattered throughout the city. That means I no longer have that tedious 4 minute walk to class that I enjoyed in Memphis. Getting to class on time now requires managing a 15 minute tram ride to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and catching a 5 minute bus ride to campus. But it keeps me healthy :) And, now for some pictures...




This is the view from my bedroom window. Of course I live on the top floor, so I have the best view, but also the longest trip. I like to think it's worth it though...







Pretty self-explanatory...













Though this picture doesn't clearly show it, this is without a doubt the largest desk I've ever had...at a time when I finally get a small computer. Great timing...









Another view of the room. In the left corner, situated between the desk and shelve, you see a bag. Well, it was full of plastic bottles (35 to be exact). In America you'd throw them away and help kill the environment, but here you take them to the grocery store, recycle them, and get .25 per bottle. I was pleasantly surprised to walk away with Euro 8.75 last Saturday...





In the common area, just outside of the bedrooms, are our closests. Mine is to the right. And, while I admit that I brought too many clothes, it's not hard to see why my roommate would run out of underwear...
So, that's my new home. It's larger than any dorm room that I had in Memphis and at Euro 245 per month, cheaper as well. Besides the eclectic roommate and the annoying pigeon that wakes me up every morning, it's not such a bad place to live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ERIC?! Kannst du Senf werfen???

Eric Hazlett said...

ja ja ja, aber natürlich ;) ich hab' ein lied heißt "charlotte"!