15 July 2007

A small taste of home

It goes without saying that I miss my family, friends, and Memphis. Therefore, to avoid redundancy, I will forego mentioning them in this entry. Since I have been in Germany, I have somehow managed to go, for the most part, without the few American items that one may purchase here. Admittedly, I have had a few cokes and even 3 amazing Dr. Pepper´s, but other than two or three other items, I have had to go cold turkey. But, a southern boy can never stop thinking of the food he loves. Don´t get me wrong, the food here is also delicious, but now and then, everyone needs a little taste of home. Talking with my brother while he was here only made me long for many of the foods from home. So, I will present a short list, in no particular order, of the few things I crave..





  1. Liters of Dr. Pepper


  2. Sweet Tea


  3. Biscuits


  4. White beans


  5. Pinto beans


  6. Mixed beans


  7. White beans w/ chowchow


  8. White beans w/ white cheese from Shelbyville


  9. White beans with green onions


  10. My parents´fried "tatters"


  11. Fried cabbage with peppers (if you haven´t had this, my dad can give you the recipe :)


  12. Country Ham


  13. Chocolate oatmeal cookies


  14. Chili-cheese fries (especially from Backyard Burger)


  15. Creamed corn


  16. Hoe cakes (not sure if that is the correct spelling)


  17. Mexican food


  18. #6 Spicy chicken sandwhich from Wendy´s


  19. BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from the BBQ shop and Central BBQ


  20. Half of a slab of dry-rub ribs with fries, beans, and sweet tea from Corky´s


  21. Cracker Barrel


  22. Pancakes


  23. Little Debbie Brownies


  24. Mac and Cheese


  25. Donuts after 11 p.m from Gibson´s with Turner´s Dutch Chocolate Milk


  26. Extra spicy Dorritos


  27. Momma´s vegetable soup


  28. Garribaldi´s BBQ Chicken Pizza


  29. Reese´s and Watchamacallit´s


  30. Hamburger Helper


  31. Zataran´s Spanish Rice


  32. Zataran´s Dirty Rice w/ Cheese (use spicy sausage instead of beef)

Now, I know this is a short list that could be easily expanded, but for now, that´s all I have ;) Perhaps before I return home, I will lose 20 lbs. so that I might enjoy these delicacies without shame!

No comments: